[OpenIndiana-discuss] extreme sloth on fresh install bootup

Jeppe Toustrup openindiana at tenzer.dk
Tue Oct 18 06:27:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 03:08, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:
> I've just installed oi on a vm (virtualbox) as guest on an older P4
> 3.06 with 2gb ram an running Debian wheezy as HOST OS.
>
> I gave the oi OS only 900mb of ram.
>
> On reboot following install I'm seeing what seems to be inordinate sloth
> in the boot process.  As the services are being enumerated its taking
> most of 1 second for each increase (up to 168) .. which is quite a lot
> of seconds.
>
> Or is this a one time thing and later reboots will be faster?
>
> While I've been writing this I see now that things are slowing even
> more.  Where the enumerator is taking more than a second now. 133 to
> 135 (of 168 services) took about 10 seconds.
>
> This can't be normal eh?

The first boot is slower because all the manifests for the system
services are being loaded in for the first time. However, the amount
of RAM also has a great impact on the speed OpenIndiana runs at, and I
won't suggest to run it with less than 2 GB, if you want to use it for
anything. This is in part because ZFS likes to cache as much as it can
in RAM, but will not be able to if the RAM is taken up by the rest of
the system.

--
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards
Jeppe Toustrup (aka. Tenzer)