[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to troubleshoot failing hardware causing hoot hangs

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Wed Sep 14 20:49:56 UTC 2011

Yes, I saw that in the svccfg man pages, but there are no such
properties for hal when listing them in svccfg. In fact, when trying to
setprop hal/use_syslog=true I get an error saying "No such property
group". It seems like hal was compiled without any logging features on
OpenIndiana. I only have the following properties at disposal for hal:
svc:/system/hal> listprop
usr                                            dependency
usr/grouping                                   astring  require_all
usr/restart_on                                 astring  none
usr/type                                       astring  service
usr/entities                                   fmri
svc:/system/filesystem/minimal
devices                                        dependency
devices/entities                               fmri
svc:/system/device/local
devices/grouping                               astring  require_all
devices/restart_on                             astring  none
devices/type                                   astring  service
dbus                                           dependency
dbus/entities                                  fmri     svc:/system/dbus
dbus/grouping                                  astring  require_all
dbus/restart_on                                astring  none
dbus/type                                      astring  service
sysevent                                       dependency
sysevent/entities                              fmri     svc:/system/sysevent
sysevent/grouping                              astring  require_all
sysevent/restart_on                            astring  none
sysevent/type                                  astring  service
keymap                                         dependency
keymap/entities                                fmri     svc:/system/keymap
keymap/grouping                                astring  optional_all
keymap/restart_on                              astring  none
keymap/type                                    astring  service
general                                        framework
general/entity_stability                       astring  Unstable
general/single_instance                        boolean  true
startd                                         framework
startd/ignore_error                            astring  core,signal
manifestfiles                                  framework
manifestfiles/lib_svc_manifest_system_hal_xml  astring
/lib/svc/manifest/system/hal.xml
start                                          method
start/exec                                     astring
"/lib/svc/method/svc-hal start"
start/group                                    astring  root
start/timeout_seconds                          count    600
start/type                                     astring  method
start/use_profile                              boolean  false
start/user                                     astring  root
stop                                           method
stop/exec                                      astring  :kill
stop/timeout_seconds                           count    30
stop/type                                      astring  method
tm_common_name                                 template
tm_common_name/C                               ustring  "Hardware
Abstraction Layer daemon"
tm_man_hald_1M                                 template
tm_man_hald_1M/manpath                         astring  /usr/man
tm_man_hald_1M/section                         astring  1M
tm_man_hald_1M/title                           astring  hald
and that is when running as root.
Robin.