[OpenIndiana-discuss] NFS4 users

Gabriele Bulfon gbulfon at sonicle.com
Tue Sep 27 14:52:12 UTC 2011

Hi, I did a little more tests on this, and something appears strange.
The server offering the NFS share, ha only its own users in passwd/group/shadow.
The offered filesystem has been created through a "nfs3" transfer from the original client holding
the content. So if I go to these folders with the new hosting machine, I find folders showing uid and gid
because it doesn't have any match for them. Some of them are the imap folders (cyrus), others are
cvs folders and mercurial folders.
When I mount them as NFS4 from the original machine, some of them are translated into nobody,
some of them are not.
For example, cyrus is not a user on the nfs server, and there is no uid at all.
But on the client I can see the correct mapping to cyrus:mail.
Same for cvs users.
This is not true for mercurial users nor postgres and mysql, that are converted into nobody.
What am I missing? If what you said is true, I should find also cyrus as nobody.
Gabriele.