[OpenIndiana-discuss] SMART status changing?

Scott LeFevre slefevre at indy.rr.com
Mon Apr 30 20:01:17 UTC 2012

I've run across this before.  What generally happens is a sector will
become unreadable/failed and get reported by smartctl.  If the file
system is active and the file using that sector is updated/over written,
the drive will reallocate the sector and fall off as a problem within
SMART.  The thing to watch are the sector reporting attributes using
'smartctl -a'.  Specifically, keep tabs on the following:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct
197 Current_Pending_Sector
198 Offline_Uncorrectable

Its been my experience that occasionally a few sectors will fail and
become reallocated and it causes little harm.  If you see 10-20+ sectors
fail at a time then the drive's failure is close at hand and you should
replace the drive ASAP.

Hope this helps.

Scott LeFevre