[OpenIndiana-discuss] google drive on openindiana?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Aug 15 15:48:38 UTC 2012

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012, Robbie Crash wrote:

> Chrome/Chromium is a better browser than Firefox in essentially every
> single way. Promoting a better browser is not shameful, it's good customer
> service.

I have used both and the user experience seems very similar to me.
There are a few web sites which refuse to offer multimedia to Linux
FireFox (even though it is technically capable) but offer it to
Chrome.  Presumably this is due to the contractual agreements between
Google and the many thousands of web sites which are allied with them
because of Google's monopoly position on the Internet.

> Chromium is fully open source. The difference is that Google Chrome is a
> customized Chromium build. The same as the build on Ubuntu is different

Customized apparently means offers a lot more essential stuff.
Hardly anyone is using Chromium.

> If the Ubuntu system you were on had no way to select a different browser,
> that would be something the system was having an issue with. Sounds like
> there wasn't another handler installed for http links.

This was obviously a Google-supplied dialog window.  It interjected
itself into the OS dialogs when it was installed.  There are plenty of
other browers on the system.

> Chrome is only 1.2GB of space when you have multiple versions installed, so
> Adobe Reader didn't install it at that point, it would've been installed
> previously, and Reader MAY have upgraded it when you agreed to install
> Chrome when you agreed to download the Reader installer. It's very clear on
> the screen, it has a picture of Chrome, the Chrome logo, a highlighted box
> that says "Yes, install Chrome as my default browser and Google Toolbar for
> Internet Explorer – *optional*. (28.4 MB) Install
> Options<http://get.adobe.com/reader/>

There was no mention of Chrome at the time.  The installation was on a
a from-scratch Windows install.

> Adobe ditched Flash for Android, not for anything else. And really, that
> was for the best, Flash sucks on Android. Google's inclusion of Flash is no

Adobe ditched the Flash plugin for Linux and Solaris, in part due to
their contracts with Google.  It may still work today but will be
worse than useless in less than a year.

> Google has some significant issues, their data collection being the most
> obvious. But to say that they're acting anything like MS did in the 90s is
> ridiculous.

Google has built up a huge position on the Internet and billions of
people only experience the Internet by launching from Google.

Regardless, I am not seeing that Chromium is available for Solaris.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn