[OpenIndiana-discuss] Some Howto pointers?

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Fri Aug 31 13:04:03 UTC 2012

I'd like to contribute ISC 4.2.4 dhcp as a package to OpenIndiana. Using
the following configure options, it compiles and runs the self-tests
cleanly:

CC=cc ./configure --enable-use-sockets --enable-ipv4-pktinfo
--sysconfdir=/etc/inet --sbindir=/usr/lib/inet --bindir=/usr/sbin
--prefix=/usr

I also have the ISC 4.1 SMF stuff (and I believe some packaging
information) downloaded from Oracle's site but I'm not sure what goes
where and what needs to be modified for 4.2.4.

Questions:

1) How do I package this stuff so it can be deployed by pkg?
2) Do I support a 64 and 32 bit installation, or should it just be
32-bit? If it's a combination, how do I resolve the installation
conflicts (bin placement, etc).

3) Anyone have a HOWTO on going from the current dhcp server packages
with ISC dhcp or do I just have to wade through the ISC docs?

BTW, with 4.2.4 comes a complete implementation of DHCPv6.  If this is
true then those of us using Comcast (and some other ISPs) can get a
static /64 block of ipv6 addresses.  It would be fun to kick the ipv6 tires.

Regards,
Gary