[OpenIndiana-discuss] Knowledge Base for Compiling and InstallingSoftware Not Available as Packages.

Jason Matthews jason at broken.net
Thu Dec 20 04:55:49 UTC 2012

> Perhaps some of you all might like to contribute to it, too?

This is an interesting topic.

I am also fond of reproducible processes. I learned from a colleague long
ago to write Makefiles which in turn run other make files to boot strap an
entire software stack -- sort of a lord of the rings, one ring to rule them
all sort of setup.  I was introduced to this concept about twelve years ago
and I have been using it ever since.

I haven't bridged the gap between my "/usr/local" build and pkg formatted
packages but I can't help but wonder if it is better to supply an automated
build system rather than manual instructions -- any automated build system
that worked would be preferable to doing something manually.

A few years ago I thought about releasing the whole thing in a VirtualBox
image because then it is fully plug and play but never got around to it. One
down side is the image would be rather large to accommodate the large number
of packages now included in my build system.

I am not poopooing your idea in any way. I am just wondering if we can take
it up a level or two.

j.