[OpenIndiana-discuss] intermittent CIFS loss, spontaneous-reboot with OI148/151a and IBM Megaraid M5015?

Ong Yu-Phing ong.yu.phing at group.ong-ong.com
Wed Feb 1 08:29:34 UTC 2012

We've a number of IBM 3630M3 servers, equipped with BBU M5014/5015s, running as CIFS server, with a mixture of OI148 and OI151a.  Nothing fancy (no dedup, no compression), just a pool of mirrored disks aka RAID10, with CIFS access authenticated via MS AD.

Intermittently, CIFS/SMB will go down, sometimes this can be restored via restarting the smb service ("enable -r smb/server"), other times it necessitates a server reset ("svcs | grep smb" shows that smb/server has an * next to it).

And one of the servers (always the same, so far...) will intermittently reboot (more frequently than the SMB service going down).  Sometimes in the middle of the day, sometimes in the evening (once it was around 6pm).  This particular server will reboot and come back up without much delay, and the pool and zfs shares come back online fine.

I'm not sure if these events, the CIFS/SMB service going down, and the intermittent server reboot are related, and I'm not sure if its also related to the mr_sas/mpt bug (https://www.illumos.org/issues/618 and https://www.illumos.org/issues/1069), as the M501[45] are just LSI controllers, using SUNWmrsas.

Anybody have any suggestions about how to investigate this further, or if this is indeed the behaviour associated with the aforementioned mr_sas/mpt bugs?

Thanks... Yu-Phing