[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS server on oi_148

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Tue Jan 3 22:39:05 UTC 2012

I guess you have two ways to control  user access to different shares,
one is the Unix style and the other is through ACLs. From my experience
the kernel-CIFS server has sometimes ignored the Unix/Posix permission
bits that I set. For example even if I say "chmod 444" a file I can
still delete the file over the network, I don't remember the specifics
now but some things worked whereas other did not. But I think you can
have different shares for different users by chowning the different file
systems to different users.

Then I started working with the ACL based permission bits and I was more
successful with that (I never did anything serious with it, I just tried
it out and saw that it works). To work with ACLs you need to use the
/bin/ls, /bin/chmod etc and look at the man pages specifically for
'/bin/ls' for more information on ACLs. My guess is that access control
using ACLs is what you are looking for and it is a bit different from
the way you administrate samba configurations, at least so I heard as
I've never configured a samba server for outbound file sharing.

Managing ACLs on Solaris/OpenSolaris have been reportedly a difficult
thing to do and get around but maybe things have become easier in the
development process of OpenIndiana. After all it has been quite a while
since I looked into ACLs on OpenSolaris.

NFS is beyond my knowledge but I assume that NFS is Linux/Unix only. As
far as I know there is no support for NFS sharing (or client access
thereto) on Windows systems. I know that there used to be a Unix for
Windows package somewhere that Microsoft published (SFU3.5) but I think
it is only for old 32-bit operating systems.

Robin.