[OpenIndiana-discuss] Replacing OI 151 ssh with OpenSSH 5.9?

Alex Viskovatoff viskovatoff at imap.cc
Wed Jan 18 19:36:49 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 09:49 -0800, Gary wrote:
> Also, is Solaris Studio 12u1 still the recommended compiler for OI? Or
> should I be looking at one of these instead?
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Compiler+Migration

There's a long term program for OI to switch to gcc, for building both
the Illumos kernel and for the rest of OI. But it is in its early
stages; none of those compilers, other than gcc-3, is even in a core OI
IPS repository (gcc and clang are in the oi-sfe repo, however). The
reason for the migration is that Sun Studio is closed source, and the
Illumos and OI projects have no influence over it.

You might consider using Sun Studio 12.2 or 12.3 instead of 12u1. You're
probably better off still using Sun Studio to build drivers, since
Illumos itself is still built with Sun Studio.

Regards,

Alex