[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI friendly external drive

Bill Sommerfeld sommerfeld at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jan 18 20:20:50 UTC 2012

On 01/18/12 09:43, Ray Arachelian wrote:
> Funny you should ask, I'm seeing the same kinds of behavior after
> upgrading to 151 with an 8 slot USB 3 array.  Are we sure it's the
> hardware and not something in the USB driver?

You're not the only one.

I've been seeing sporadic hangs of I/O to a USB2-connected external disk
enclosure connected to a newly-built system (supermicro workstation
motherboard with a westmere xeon) running oi151.  It was stable when connected
to a different motherboard (dual-core opteron), but I've retired that system.

I haven't had a chance to dig into it further -- it's only happened two or
three times in about two months, and when it happens it also clobbers keyboard
& mouse.

						- Bill