[OpenIndiana-discuss] no randomness provider for /dev/random?

Bryan N Iotti ironsides.medvet at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 17:47:56 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I finally gave in to the brewing discontent with the Mac platform and
made the jump.

I am writing this from an HP xw8200 running OI 151a.

The machine has dual Xeon 3.6Ghz processors, 4GB ECC RAM and 2x 146GB
SCSI 320 disks (don't remember specs on these). The video card is an
NVidia Quadro FX3450 and the motherboard is an LSI Logic (gotta look up
the model no.).

I installed OI and mirrored rpool on the second disk, installed grub and
my selection of software.
I am very pleased with the performance of it all, but I am puzzled to
see that every time it boots it posts that there is no randomness
provider for /dev/random. cryptoadm lists a series of providers and I
found a post online about that being just a question of ZFS needing
/dev/random, but the provider is loaded a little later in the boot sequence.

Is that so, or can I do something about it?
What do you think about the machine? Are there any "necessary" upgrades
I need to make?

Also, on a minor note, it's giving me grief ejecting CDs. I have
properly jumpered the dual IDE burners, but they still have a hard time
opening without a disk inside. Any clues on that one?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Bryan