[OpenIndiana-discuss] zpool upgrade in OI151a5?

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 01:44:31 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Dan Swartzendruber <dswartz at druber.com> wrote:
> So I did the pkg image-update to go to 151a5.  I grabbed off a copy of the
> root pool first. Boot and activated and all seemed well.  I happened to do
> 'zpool status' and saw these:
[...]
> status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format.  The pool can
>         still be used, but some features are unavailable.
> action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the
>         pool will no longer be accessible on older software versions.

This is "correct", in that doing a zpool upgrade is generally a
one-way street. You turn on various features of the pool, and older
versions of FreeBSD, OI, Solaris etc. may or may no longer read it.

> I updated rpool first, and was dismayed to see the following:
>
> Successfully upgraded 'rpool1' from version 28 to version 5000

Yes, this is odd. The last "open source" version of zfs had zpool 28.
There have been discussions about making changes to this version
independent of the Oracle (closed-source) changes. If/when such
changes would be made, I imagine some flag would need to be set that
marked the pool as unreadable by Solaris 11 (eg. setting the zpool
version to 5000), but that would mean that OI would have to be coded
to not accept zpool versions 29-4999.

> root at openindiana:~# zpool get version
> NAME    PROPERTY  VALUE    SOURCE
> rpool1  version   -        default
> tank    version   28       local

Yes, this is not the output we'd expect.

> Should I fall back to my backup pool image?  Any ideas what
> happened?

Any snapshots are taken at the fs level, so an update of the zpool
can't easily be rolled back to another snapshot/BE. That is, unless
you have a separate backup copy (or you do a zfs send, then destroy
the pool, recreate it, zfs receive).

Jan