[OpenIndiana-discuss] error execv: Permission denied

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Jul 19 20:52:18 UTC 2012

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012, Richard Lowe wrote:

> The version of gcc 4.4.4 in a5 was packaged incorrectly, and as
> botched file permissions.  Don't use it, use gcc-3.
>
> Jon, any chance of getting this fixed before it bites more people?
> (Also: is the package really 'gcc'? that's unfortunate, I thought it
> was being kept to the side for the 151 builds?)

I installed GCC 4.6.2 (SFE package) and then installed GCC 4.7.1 (to
/usr/local) from source code because as an application developer I
need modern GCC to develop with.

However, I would also like to be able to install Richard Lowe's gcc
4.4.4 without it conflicting with any other GCC (or being used as a
"gcc" dependency) because I would like to be able to build Illumos
with it.  Users should always have the ability to install the current
"system" compiler which is capable of building the OS and is carefully
installed so that it does not collide with anything else.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn