[OpenIndiana-discuss] Nvidia Driver 295.53

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 15:40:54 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 3:27 AM, russell <stream at willows7.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> I noticed after upgrading to Nvidia Driver 295.53 that the driver supports a
> colour depth of 30 giving 1.1 billion colours as an experimental feature
> does the current release of X implemented in OI_151.1.4 support the 30 bit
> colour depth. If the 30 bit colour depth is selected it warns about X
> support and that some applications do not support 30bit depth. If the
> application does not support  30 bit depth will it operate at 24 bit depth
> and still be displayed or will the application not display anything or
> crash?

I have two pieces of anecdotal evidence.

1) For some time in the 1990s I was using a Matrox card that supported
a 10-bit-per-channel depth, and I didn't run into any programs that
would misbehave (luck?).

2) I currently use a certain image viewing program that requires that
the display be exactly 8 bits (total) or it will crash. To run it, I
need to restart X in 8-bit mode or run something like Xephyr.

I would guess that many programs should be fine, especially the
relatively common ones, but you may run into a specific applications
that don't know what to do if the number of colours doesn't match what
it expects.

Jan