[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to deal with IPV4/6 as a router

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Wed Jun 6 19:56:30 UTC 2012

Gary Gendel wrote:
> The question is: How do I set up things so it works with my internal
> devices?  It seems that All I want to do is to leave the ipv4 setup as I
> have it now and pass all ipv6 packets (discovery, etc.) from bge0 to
> bge1 (and visa versa).  This way my ISP will provide ipv6 addresses to
> those devices that ask for one.
>
> Or should I provide a "private" ipv6 address space for my LAN?  This
> doesn't seem to be in the spirit of ipv6, but it will provide me more
> firewall control of traffic in and out of the network and provide
> "static" addresses to my hosts.

What, precisely, did your ISP give you?  What do you see in the
configuration?

If they've given you just a single /64 on a broadcast-type interface
(e.g. Ethernet), then you're right that this is going to be a little
tough because you need either a bridge to get the unadulterated traffic
onto the internal network (including the RAs from their routers) or you
need the moral equivalent of "proxy ARP" for v6, which doesn't really
exist.  The best answer there might just be to put all of the v6
machines you have out on the switch connected to their router and be
done with it.

If they've given you a collection of two or more /64s so that you can
route, then you should be able to set the "ROUTER" flag on the
interfaces, set up some prefix advertising for the other prefixes, and
do it the "right way."  (Shame to burn a global /64 on a simple link to
the ISP, but, well, I don't see a better way with broadcast-type
interfaces.)

If they've given you a single /64 on a non-broadcast type interface
(such as a point-to-point tunnel), then please specify.  That'd be a
simple thing to handle.