[OpenIndiana-discuss] HDD Upgrade problem

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sun Jun 10 13:13:59 UTC 2012

2012-06-10 16:30, michelle wrote:
> To test the 3tb drive in a Linux system, before I trusted it to the
> server, I did create a partition on it; however my understanding is that
> when I give a zfs command at device level ... zpool replace data c2t3d0
> c2t5d0 ... it shouldn't matter what partitions are on the device.

I did not try to give ZFS disks with random pre-existing partition
tables - I either had cleared them or pre-created to my liking.
I am not sure that ZFS would quietly recreate a table if one exists,
and/or that it would change MSDOS/MBR tables to EFI/GPT (there was
discussion of that on the dev list recently), as well as I am not
certain it won't ;)

So, when you get the 3Tb disk into the system, you might want to
revise its partitioning (now, likely, after ZFS tried to do someting
to it). If ZFS failed to change the partitioning stuff safely -
maybe that was what it complained about?..

HTH,
//Jim