[OpenIndiana-discuss] moving existing rpool onto larger disks, in-place: zpool/zfs ashift/blocksize musings

Bill Sommerfeld sommerfeld at alum.mit.edu
Mon May 14 14:59:15 UTC 2012

On 05/14/12 00:00, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> First: Can you ever efficiently migrate a zpool with ashift=9 to a 4k
> block disk by just adding the new disk as a 3rd mirror? Regardless of
> what blocksize the disk reports?

I butted heads with this yesterday, and concluded "no".

I attempted to moved a backup pool from an external USB enclosure to
directly connected SATA, and it failed, with scary status messages from
zpool import implying unrecoverable data corruption.

The pool was created with ashift=9, presumably because the USB enclosure
presented a block size of 512.  The disks were "advanced format" disks
with 4K physical sectors; I moved the disks back to the USB enclosure
and the pool was fine.

> Third: How can one check to see what parameters (like ashift( a
> particular pool uses?

ashift is a property in the zfs volume label, which you can see with:

zdb -l /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0

					- Bill