[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana desktop sharing?

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Fri Nov 9 14:09:17 UTC 2012

I am NOT an X11 expert by any means, so I always just hope 'things will just
work...'  So I found an OI blog entry that referred to sharing the OI
desktop, since the server runs headless (note: I am doing this
experimentation on another server, not the real one - just practicing :) )
I clicked on the desktop sharing menu item and selected the right
checkboxes.  It then popped up a window having to do with a new keyring or
somesuch - I haven't seen that again, even though I have enabled/disabled
multiple times.  Anyway, the issue: I fire up tightvnc from my windows 7
box, and give the IP of the OI server.  It pops up a new window that is
totally black, and I'm never prompted for a password. After a few minutes,
the session times out and goes away.  google has not been very helpful :(
Any thoughts much appreciated...  Here is the article that looked closest,
but didn't resolve it for me:

http://broken.net/openindiana/how-enable-or-install-xvnc-on-openindiana-148/