[OpenIndiana-discuss] bwn driver for Broadcom Wifi

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Oct 20 11:01:36 UTC 2012

Hello Ken, it took me a while to get around to trying the other drivers.
I compiled the HP pack with ndis-1.2.1 from opensolaris.cz archives,
and had several problems:

1) A string comparison function is defined in ndis sources that seems
identical to one in system headers, so I commented it out (maybe, my
big mistake?) I refer to strcasestr() in inf.c needed to build ndiscvt.

2) For some reason, the iconv translation of the INF file choked on the
file from HP archives, I inspected the file and found no errors on the
line reported. "iconv -c" produced the output I ultimately used. Maybe
it is a problem with an iconv provided by OI (still at oi_151a5 here).

3) In a not-very-unexpected twist, at least in a 64-bit boot the driver
(made from bcmwl564.sys) panicked my system. I did not yet try 32-bit,
because ultimately I do need 64-bit to work.

Finally, while googling around I saw references to ndis-1.2.3 and 1.2.5
that might have been the last ones published on OpenSolaris laptop site.
Do you know if those sources can still be found? I read that the NDIS
wrapper fixes might help here, more than matching an okay version of
binary drivers.

Would it help if I tried to recover or retype the kernel stacktraces
from the last failure? I remember the problem seemed to be in bcmndis
initialization and a jet of exception handlers above that until die().