[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS; what the manuals don't say ...

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Sun Oct 28 12:42:48 UTC 2012

On 2012-10-25 12:21, Jim Klimov wrote:
> 2012-10-24 15:17, Robin Axelsson wrote:
>> On 2012-10-23 20:06, Jim Klimov wrote:
>>> 2012-10-23 19:53, Robin Axelsson wrote:
>> But if I do send/receive to the same pool I will need to have enough
>> free space in it to fit at least two copies of the dataset I want to
>> reallocate.
>
> Likewise with "reallocation" of files - though the unit of required
> space would be smaller.
>

>> It seems like what zfs is missing here is a good defrag tool.
>
> This was discussed several times, with the outcome being that with
> ZFS's data allocation policies, there is no one good defrag policy.
> The two most popular options are about storing the current "live"
> copy of a file contiguously (as opposed to its history of released
> blocks only referenced in snapshots) vs. storing pool blocks in
> ascending creation-TXG order (to arguably speed up scrubs and
> resilvers, which can consume a noticeable portion of performance
> doing random IO).
>
> Usual users mostly think that the first goal is good - however,
> if you add clones and dedup into the equation, it might never be
> possible to retain their benefits AND store all files contiguously.
>
> Also, as with other matters of moving blocks around in the allocation
> areas and transparently to other layers of the system (that is, on a
> live system that actively does I/O while you defrag data), there are
> some other problems that I'm not very qualified to speculate about,
> that are deemed to be solvable by the generic BPR.
>
> Still, I do think that many of the problems postponed until the time
> that BPR arrives, can be solved with different methods and limitations
> (such as off-line mangling of data on the pool) which might still be
> acceptable to some use-cases.
>
> All-in-all, the main intended usage of ZFS is on relatively powerful
> enterprise-class machines, where much of the needed data is cached
> on SSD or in huge RAM, so random HDD IO lags become less relevant.
> This situation is most noticeable with deduplication, which in ZFS
> implementation requires vast resources to basically function.
> With market prices going down over time, it is more likely to see
> home-NAS boxes tomorrow similarly spec'ed to enterprise servers of
> today, than to see the core software fundamentally revised and
> rearchitected for boxes of yesterday. After all, even in open-source
> world, developers need to eat and feed their families, so commercial
> applicability does matter and does influence the engineering designs
> and trade-offs.

Actually I have refrained from using dedup and compression as I somehow
feel that the risks and penalties that come with them outweigh the
benefits, at least for my purposes.

It should also be noted that in a lot of defrag software out there you
have the option to choose different policies according to which you can
reorganize the data on a disk. A tool that continuously monitors disk
activity could give information as to what policy would be optimal for a
particular disk configuration.

As I understand, fragmentation occurs when you remove files and rewrite
files to a storage pool a large enough number of times. So if I have a
fragmented storage pool and copy all files to a new empty storage pool,
the new storage pool would not be fragmented. So I take it what you are
saying is that the way the files are organized in the new storage pool
is sometimes *worse* than the way they are organized in the old
fragmented storage pool?

> [...]
> redundancy and data for the block, so the data (and holes after
> removal of data) are not very predictably intermixed - as would
> be the case with traditional full-stripe RAID5/6. Still, this
> does allow recovery from the loss of N drives in a raidzN set
> while minimizing read-modify-write problems of traditional RAID.
>
> Also for each allocated block there is a separate metadata block
> which references it and contains the checksum of the block's data,
> and matching the data (and if needed, permutations of parity and
> data) to the checksum allows to determine that a block was read in
> without errors - and if there were errors, to possibly fix them.
>
> So, returning to your questions: again, the generic solution seems
> to somehow be the BPR, which would reallocate blocks in a different
> layout and in a manner transparent to other layers of the stack.
>
> Here are some possible complications:
> * By adding or removing disks in a raidzN set (regardless of changes
>   in redundancy) you effectively change the offset numbering, whose
>   validity relies on the number and size of component disks - if the
>   offset math breaks, you can no longer address and locate the blocks
>   saved on this disk set (there is no simple rule to change like
>   "divisible by N").
> * By changing the redundancy level (raidz2 to raidz3 or back, for
>   example), you'd need to rewrite all blocks to include or exclude
>   the extra parity sectors.
>
> A far-fetched "custom" solution to address this problem might be
> to expand the concept of replacement of faulted disks: here we'd
> virtually add a TLVDEV with new settings (raidzN, number of disks)
> to the pool and reuse some of the older disks. The old TLVDEV would
> be locked for writes, and its known free sectors, or perhaps ranges
> like SPAs, would become those available on the new TLVDEV.
>
> Likely, the combined TLVDEV should inherit the GUID of the old one,
> so that the DVA "naming" of the blocks would remain coherent in the
> pool, and so that the emptied old TLVDEV can ultimately be released
> and forgotten.
>
> This way the writes incoming to this combined TLVDEV would be saved
> in the new layout, while reads can be satisfied by both layouts
> with appropriate mapping added in the zfs layers.
>
> Still, to move the blocks from old TLVDEV layout onto the new one,
> as well as to move away extra blocks if the new TLVDEV is short on
> free space (or to clear up whole SPAs), some active mechanism would
> be needed - and many people would point their fingers at BPR again ;)
> (Though this could probably be a specialized scrub/resilver algo).
>
> I don't want to discourage the enthusiasts by saying something is
> impossible, nor to postpone the many awaited features until BPR
> appears (and AFAIK nobody is now working on it). But it is fair to
> have you know the possible problems in advance - technical and
> otherwise ;) I'd love to see someone stir up the community and

I'll read he ZFS On-Disk Specification when I have finished reading
Solaris Internals. Then we can talk further about this...