[OpenIndiana-discuss] "OpenIndiana lead Alasdair Lumsden resigns"

Michael Stapleton michael.stapleton at techsologic.com
Sun Sep 2 16:41:31 UTC 2012

I have been developing a virtualization product that runs on OI, It's
written in Java but uses ZFS and Comstar so the server side has to be
Iluminos/Solaris11 based.
For me, development and testing has been much more efficient by running
OI on my workstations and laptops.
When I'm traveling, I can still build and test because my laptop is
running OI. I could use VMs for testing, but rather not if I don't have
to.
The fact that OI is usable as a workstation has been great and I would
not be happy to see it go away. If it does, I will likely have to switch
to Solaris 11 to "Build and test" my software.

Microsoft owns the desktop market because it owns the desktop market.
Uses run Windows because the programs they need run on Windows.
Developers develop for windows because the Users are running Windows.
Hardware vendors write drivers for Windows because the computers are
running Windows.
It does not matter how great of a desktop OI is, it will never break the
Windows cycle.

The real threat to Windows is cloud services. The Microsoft "Lock in"
might be broken when the applications Users use no longer depend on the
desktop OS, But when that happens it also will mean that the great
services OI provides will be irrelevant on a desktop.

If there is one niche market I can see for OI as a desktop, it is in
Trusted Extensions.

The future of OI is on the server, and it should have a usable GUI
interface.
But in my opinion, trying to support every Desktop application is a bit
futile.

Mike