[OpenIndiana-discuss] isc-dhcp client

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Fri Sep 7 13:12:32 UTC 2012

Actually, since I'm only interested in prefix delegation, I tried an
experiment.

My external nic is bge0 and my internal nic is bge1.

I have ipfilter set up currently to allow everything on ipv6:

pass in on any all
pass out on any all

When I start dhclient to get the address block from the DHCPv6 server:

dhclient -6 -P -v bge0

I fail with a "No route to host" message.  The full output is:

Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.2.4-P1
Copyright 2004-2012 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

execve (/sbin/dhclient-script, ...): No such file or directory
Bound to *:546
Listening on Socket/bge0
Sending on   Socket/bge0
PRC: Soliciting for leases (INIT).
XMT: Forming Solicit, 0 ms elapsed.
XMT:  X-- IA_PD 3d:13:03:a3
XMT:  | X-- Request renew in  +3600
XMT:  | X-- Request rebind in +5400
XMT: Solicit on bge0, interval 1010ms.
send_packet6: No route to host
dhc6: send_packet6() sent -1 of 52 bytes

It fails on a sendmsg() call to a socket that's opened for broadcast.

Is this something I'm doing wrong in ipfilter or am I missing something
else? For example, do I need to set up a logical or virtual nic on bge0?

Gary