[OpenIndiana-discuss] HFS+ (Apple file system) read/write support on Illumos -- interest levels?

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sun Sep 16 00:28:31 UTC 2012

iCloud servers are probably on various continents, for performance.  That also means that they may be subject to different rules in different juristictions; you think your privacy isn't perfect in the US?  For sure it would be worse some other places.

But you've got it wrong anyway; the formerly free iSCSI initiator for Mac was from Studio Network Solutions, _not_ from Apple.  Back when the free version worked, I noticed the following: under a normal setup using its GUI, the filesystems were only mounted when I was logged in; and if I stayed logged in for days at a time, I tended to crash.  I'm not saying their initiator was definitely at fault, just saying it may not be the answer you're hoping for.

I haven't tried greenbytes.com version of zfs for the Mac (neither the paid nor the free), but I have used http://code.google.com/p/maczfs/ on Snow Leopard and Lion, although only playing; in particular, I never used a local disk partition, so I don't know how solid it is by itself.