[OpenIndiana-discuss] Seagate 3000GB Drive only shows 746GB

Timothy Coalson tsc5yc at mst.edu
Fri Sep 28 23:08:50 UTC 2012

Something worth noting, if you intend to purchase a card to expand via SATA
drives, is that SATA controllers and OI smartctl don't get along yet (the
interface for ATA commands isn't implemented, I think is the story), if you
get a SAS/SAS2 controller, you can get smartctl to work with "-d sat" on
SATA disks (SAS2 is far more likely to support 3TB and larger disks).  I
see LSI-based ones recommended for OI quite a bit on this list, but you
want the HBA ones, not the RAID ones.  They are more expensive than your
average SATA card, though, and use a different cable.

I haven't the faintest idea what SATA cards work with OI/illumos.

Tim