[OpenIndiana-discuss] iSCSI

Jarrad Piper jarrad at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 05:33:12 UTC 2013

Hi Poitr,

Here is a very basic example for home usage. It will create a disk visible
to all clients.

1. create a place to put your disks
>zfs create rpool/ISCSI
2. create a zfs slice for your ISCSI disk (you can also make it thin
provisioned using -s)
>zfs create -V 64G rpool/ISCSI/Store0
3. Install the packages
>pkg install storage-server
>svcadm -r enable iscsi/target
3. Attach the LUN
>stmfadm create-lu /dev/zvol/rdsk/rpool/ISCSI/Store0
4. to view your creation
>sbdadm list-lu
>sudo stmfadm list-lu -v
5. Give your LUN a nice name (optional) using <LU NAME> from list-lu command
>stmfadm modify-lu -p alias=windows <LU NAME>
6. Create the target
>itadm create-target
7. Show your creation
>itadm list-target
7. Make your LUN visible from the target
>stmfadm add-view <LU NAME>

You should now be able to connect to the target/LUN from any client
computer using the IQN name from itadm list-target

Additionally you should make it so the target is only visible from one
interface using target portal groups otherwise it will look like a
confusing mess on your client, especially if you are running IPv6 or have
multiple virtual/physical interfaces.

1. Create the target portal group
>itadm create-tpg tpg-ipv4 127.0.0.1
2. Modify the target where <TARGET NAME> is 'itadm list-target'
>itadm modify-target -t tpg-ipv4 <TARGET NAME>
3. Show your Modifications
>itadm list-target -v

Hope this helps,

Jarrad.