[OpenIndiana-discuss] Where can I see real cmdlines of using pkg command?

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Aug 28 18:21:10 UTC 2013

I'm not getting enough out of man pkg to really get the idea.

The real basic stuff yeah ok.
But I'm thinking you can do things like list all your installed
packages.

The man page mentions User commans list and -a as showing installed
pkgs.
If you wanted to know which editors were installed. How to do that?
   things like `pkg list editor'.. fails with:

   no packages matching 'editor' allowed by installed incorporations,
   or image variants that are known or installed

but this: `pkg list vim' shows:
  NAME (PUBLISHER)      VERSION               IFO
  editor/vim        7.2.308-0.151.1.8          i--

So it shows  `editor' right under the NAME column. So what exaclty
does `pkg' expect in the way of telling it what to search for.
Do I have to do each individual pkg and now all the correct names or
what?

I'd really like to see a couple of pages full of actual pkg commands
with a little brief telling what they do.  Is there such a thing
somewhere?