[OpenIndiana-discuss] Is there a perl setup that installs more modules

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Wed Aug 28 19:52:32 UTC 2013

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Is there a perl setup that installs...:

> I guess your saying that the cpan that is onboard after install is a
> bad idea.

I would say that cpan in general is a bad idea, but I'm a bit more
hardcore about packaging that most.

> Its been a good while since I built perl... and that was on linux, so
> does that not use system folders?  You just put it somewhere out of
> way of the main line stuff like /usr/local?

Yup.  I build and package my own copy of perl for use on Solaris and now
OpenIndiana.  Perl is actually pretty trouble-free to build on Solaris and
successors.

I build 64 bit with the Oracle Studio compiler and enable threading,
and my Configure line looks something like:

./Configure -des -Dprefix=/usr/local \
 	-Dusethreads='define' -Duseithreads='define' \
 	-Dinstallusrbinperl='undef' \
 	-Dcc="cc -xtarget=native -m64 -xarch=native -mt" \
 	-Dlibc=/lib/64/libc.so \
 	-Dsitelib=/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.18.1 \
 	-Doptimize="-xO3 -g3 -xlibmopt -xtarget=native -m64 -xarch=native" \
 	-Dccflags="-I/usr/local/include" \
 	-Dldflags="-L/usr/local/lib/64" \
 	-Dlddlflags="-G -L/usr/local/lib/64" \
 	-Dlocincpth='/usr/local/include' \
 	-Dloclibpth='/usr/local/lib/64' \
 	-Dman1dir='/usr/local/share/man/man1' \
 	-Dman3dir='/usr/local/share/man/man3' \
 	-Dlibpth="/usr/ccs/lib/amd64 /usr/lib/64 /usr/local/lib/64"

If you want 32 bit instead, start by removing the -m64 everywhere you find
it and the /64 and amd64 from all the lib directories, and try that.

I'm still completely unfamiliar with the "pkg" command on OpenIndiana and
the FMRI-style package naming, but you will need at least

 	pkg:/system/header
 	pkg:/system/library/math/header-math

You'll also need a compiler (I used Oracle Studio 12.3, downloaded from
Oracle in tar format), the make command (I used gmake):

 	pkg:/developer/build/gnu-make

The fresh install I did of oi151a8 from the Live image had most of the
rest of the stuff I needed installed by default.

Tim