[OpenIndiana-discuss] minimum swap requirements for VirtualBox on OI

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 09:29:36 UTC 2013

in the olden days, when we didn't have much memory in our solaris boxes,
and because we logged files to /tmp and /var/run we used to make swap be at
least twice as much as memory ... not that you would actually want to
"swap" out that much :)

I know with KVM in Illumos that when it pre-allocates memory, it also
pre-allocates an equivalent amount of swap, which caused me some problems
when I only had 4Gb of swap and 8Gb of ram ... I was getting "out of
memory" errors when I went over 4Gb.

Jon