[OpenIndiana-discuss] ProLiant DL380p Gen8

Saso Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 14:24:20 UTC 2013

On 12/5/13, 2:14 PM, Roel_D wrote:
> I come from Solaris 10 and i already get really frustrated by all rip-offs.

"rip-offs", heh.

> I am used to the Solaris way of configuring zones (the main reason I use
> Solaris) and every successor of Solaris 10 has its own way of configuring
> it. If you want help on zones for example then there are 60 billon hits on
> google, but I always end up frustrated. "No, that is not for that version",
> "no, that is for the SmartOS version", "no, that will only work on Nexenta",
> "no, you need to create a json first", "no, we like XML", "no you first need
> to create 2000 virtual nics, download all versions of the bible and then
> pray for help"

Solaris 10 is on its way out, whether you like it or not. If you want a
method that's as close to Oracle's Solaris 11, then stick with
OpenIndiana or OmniOS. Nexenta, AFAIK, can't even be used to serve up
zones, so that's kind of moot. SmartOS, really, is the only oddball
here, and with good reason. They were solving a different problem to a
general purpose server.

> I just want solaris to run on a server, serve my data as fast as hell and
> work!

Stick with OI or OmniOS.

Cheers,
--