[OpenIndiana-discuss] pkg(5) very slow, may this be due to local mirrors?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Dec 13 14:40:02 UTC 2013

Hello all,

   Now that I am into updating a number of hosts with oi_151a8,
I noticed that package updates are sometimes pretty fast, but
often VERY slow (like, one file every several seconds, which
for many packages with thousands of files translates into hours).

   The environments use a local mirror of the OpenIndiana pkg
repo, prepared according to (my) wiki instructions (dev/dev127):

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Making+a+LAN+mirror+of+global+package+repositories
http://wiki.openindiana.org/display/oi/Using+host-only+networking+to+get+from+build+zones+and+test+VMs+to+the+Internet

   Apparently, the installation tries to contact the official
server first (mirrors are marked as such, not as the authority)
since I see it failing unless I set the "http_proxy" envvar.

# pkg publisher
PUBLISHER                             TYPE     STATUS   URI
openindiana.org                       origin   online
http://pkg.openindiana.org/dev/
openindiana.org                       mirror   online
http://192.168.127.1:10002/

   First I thought this was due to installation onto prepared
network images of the GZ and local zones (while migrating an
old server and it was still up, hosting its future BE's) over
NFS, with pkg executed from another OI host, and attributed
the lags to this. However now that the system is running, I
see similar sluggishness within the physical host and native
OS, and this is worrysome.

   Any ideas?

//Jim