[OpenIndiana-discuss] i7 cpu that accepts ECC Ram

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Feb 1 16:23:17 UTC 2013

Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> writes:

[...]

> If you are not dead-set on having an an i7 CPU, then there are many
> more options.  SuperMicro makes some nice motherboards which work with
> Xeon CPUs and support ECC memory and built-in audio.  These
> motherboards are basically server-class motherboards with
> "workstation" options.  These run VirtualBox very well.
>
> Here are some examples.  I think that OpenIndiana should work on all
> three:
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9SRA.cfm
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DAL-i.cfm
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DAi.cfm

Thanks for the helpful input.

Looking at specs and trying to imagine a working home system seems to
throw my pea brain into 'flight of fight' syndrome and it mostly
freezes. Probably due to a horribly weak background in comp tech.

I don't notice any mention of graphics while paging round those sites
and linked sites.

Do server platforms generally not have graphics or is it just inserted
into a slot somewhere?  or what?