[OpenIndiana-discuss] abandoned support for OpenOffice, Miozilla Firefox, Adobe Flash, etc.

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 04:47:22 UTC 2013

I'm running Firefox 13.0 on OI_151a5.  That's  not up to date, but certainly more recent.  It was not difficult to do the updates. I simply installed the Solaris Firefox 13.0 from the Firefox site.

Have you attempted to update Firefox, OpenOffice, etc and encountered a problem?

Not everything in the OpenIndiana repositories is up to date.  That doesn't mean that newer releases won't run.  It just reflects that the people working on OI have other priorities than solving problems that have simple solutions.

I've not used it myself, but as I understand, OI is already able to run Linux codes in branded zones. So I think you're asking for something that was done some time ago.  I typically build from source code and rarely encounter problems doing that. It also means I have no reason to run Linux binaries.

OI is a much smaller community than Linux.  So there are things that need to be done that there is no one with the time to do it.  I'd like to encourage you to help out.  It may be a stretch goal, but I expect you can do it if you make the requisite effort.

I recently spent almost 20 hours figuring out how to set up a file server the way I wanted.  Now I can do it in an hour. But I had to eat a lot of failures to get there. I also got a lot of help from the community. Once I figured it out I wrote it up on the wiki to help others. So try.  If you fail ask for help.

To quote an old proverb.  "Trust in God, but hobble your camel."  You need to do your part.

Have Fun!
Reg