[OpenIndiana-discuss] using fwflash for SATA SSDs

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Tue Feb 12 10:17:13 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am considering to update firmware on two SSDs in my file server. The
models are Intel X25-M and OCZ Vertex 2. Obviously, the manufacturers
are providing proprietary tools on DOS or Windows to flash the drives. I
am looking for what would be the least intrusive method, and for the
Intel disk also the safest method, as this disk contains the Rpool.
fwflash lists the drives as "flashable". As a salience, the Intel X25
doesn't show its GUID. ("not supported")
My other questions:
- How do I get the FW binaries out of the manufacturers update tools?
- Usually, activating the FW requires a re-boot. I am not very much
inclined to go for a re-boot for the sake of flashing the Vertex 2, as
this is only a ZFS cache drive. Wouldn't it suffice to detach the drive
after the FW upgrade, cycle a hot-swap, and then re-attach it?
- If I really have to re-boot, shouldn't I rather power down the
machine, take out the drives, flash them with the mannufacturer tool,
re-assemble and hope for the best - other than messing around to get it
running with fwflash?

TIA for any suggestions.

WBR,

Sebastian