[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana roadmap

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 01:18:27 UTC 2013

--- On Mon, 1/28/13, James Relph <james at themacplace.co.uk> wrote:

> From: James Relph <james at themacplace.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana roadmap
> To: "Discussion list for OpenIndiana" <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
> Date: Monday, January 28, 2013, 4:49 PM
> > Would a Kickstarter project to
> fund an OI support group be possible?  The problem is
> you need a certain level of commitments to justify setting
> up a support operation.
> >
> > I was quite happy to pay Sun for a 3 year Gold level
> contract on my Ultra 20 when I bought it.  $250/yr to
> fund someone to help when I run into problems would be money
> well spent to me.
>
> I'm sure it would be possible, but whether Kickstarter would
> be the best way or not would need looking into.  I
> guess the real question is who is currently "in charge" of
> Oi, how many developers are actively involved and what they
> think?

I'd like to suggest funding Martin.  He's committed and needs the money. Even as little as $50US per site would certainly help him a lot.  I'd be happy to pay $100US/year to have him work on OI in a stable living situation.  I suspect he'd be even more productive if he wasn't sleeping in his car.  Once he's living comfortably, add some more people as funds become available.

Is there someone who can get him online to discuss this?

Have Fun!
Reg