[OpenIndiana-discuss] Oracle Stops Sun Ray development

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Jul 16 11:15:08 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-16 11:05, Jonathan Adams wrote:
> Any suggestions would be good, we don't even have to stick to Solaris, but
> I would prefer in the extreme not Windows. Anyone have experience with
> other thin-clients?

I suggest you keep track of the SunRay-Users mailing list for a while;
discussion of these news is already probably the largest single burst
of traffic there this year.

http://www.filibeto.org/pipermail/sunray-users/2013-July/thread.html
See messages for "Goodby Sun Ray..."

Most of the constructive ideas roll around ThinLinc with assorted
hardware for the DTUs, and jOpenRay for a java-based open-source
SunRay server for SunRay DTUs. Development of the latter might solve
problems with abandonment of the SRSS, but not of firm/hard-ware...
though having the protocol, one might develop their own SunRay
compatible firmware for less proprietary DTUs.

HTH,
//Jim