[OpenIndiana-discuss] No access to pkg manager on new install - user error?

DormitionSkete@hotmail.com dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 28 02:34:23 UTC 2013

Now that I look at what I wrote earlier, it appears I didn't word my last email as clearly as it could have been.

There appears to be a problem with the initial root password that you enter when you install OI using the Live Desktop DVD.  After you do a fresh install, go into a terminal window and change the root password.  That will probably fix your package manager gui problem.

My last email also made it sound like su'ing into root is problematic even after that; but that is not the case.  Once you change the initial root password, you should not run into any further problems.  I just don't remember exactly what I had to do to change the root password.

151a7 seems to be pretty stable.  At least it has been on our older Dell hardware.

I hope this clarifies matters -- and that it helps you get up and running.