[OpenIndiana-discuss] [UNSUBSCRIBE]

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Jun 7 23:59:57 UTC 2013

On Saturday, June 08, 2013 07:40 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
>>> A goal? It is already there!
>> Ubuntu is a passable desktop and I use it. But it does not quite fit in an
>> office when compared with Windows or Mac OS X.
>    Sure it does.  I see it all the time.  If you disagree, cite examples.

Central domain management including assigning desktop profiles is not
available. Nothing that works on the level of Powerpoint or Keynote.

The first would have been possible with winbind and KDE 3.5 but that's
no longer available.

>> Nor has it made major in-roads in the home.
>    It has here.  You need to get out more. ;)

The whole of Hong Kong suffers from this.

>>> Linux is not cheap: it's free! And yes it is reliable. And that should
>>> be the goal of Illumos etc.
>>> A.S.
>> It is most assuredly not free. Unless you happen to have a really good Linux
>> jack of all trades admin and also a really good lot of users. Just because
>> you do not have to purchase licenses does not mean it is free.
>    That's a popular straw man, but it just doesn't bear out in real life.
> Linux boxes (or OS X for that matter) just do not require the degree of user
> support that Windows boxes do.  They don't require the constant reloading,
> reformatting, de-virusing, etc etc.  Nobody that I've moved to Linux or OS X
> has ever needed any support of any kind past about the second day of use.

Well, I was forced to learn to do Windows administration because that's
working env of my school. I have never had to do constant reloading,
reformatting or de-virusing. So in my case, this is a strawman. A
complete reinstall just takes a couple of hours too and I can mass
reinstall if I have to for that is what I do when I get a whole new
batch of desktops.