[OpenIndiana-discuss] xvnc-inetd only accepting one connection in total?? Huh??

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Fri Mar 1 21:57:38 UTC 2013

I also read the following, and particularly the bit framed in
************** lines
---------------------------------
      In the nowait mode, Xvnc uses its standard input and  output
      directly  as  the  connection  to  a viewer.  It never has a
      listening socket, so cannot accept further connections  from
      viewers  (it can however connect out to listening viewers by
      use of the vncconfig program).
*************************
  Further  viewer  connections
      to the same TCP port result in inetd spawning off a new Xvnc
      to deal with each connection.
*************************
When the  connection  to  the
      viewer  dies,  the  Xvnc  and  any associated X clients die.
      This behaviour is most useful when combined with  the  XDMCP
      options -query and -once.

I can't believe this design wouldn't include logic to just assign a new
display number for each new VNC session...

So it's a bad bad bad design under the hood, and the manual lies or is
at least very incomplete.

Or what?

BTW I haven't been able to find any document actually describing the
"-once" option to "Xvnc -inetd". Where should I look for that? What
alternatives are there, if any, beyond just leaving -once out?