[OpenIndiana-discuss] Anyone using OpenIndiana in production?

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Fri Mar 29 10:43:28 UTC 2013

James,

I have a similar situation in a home office.  I've got a Sun V40Z
running 151a7 with 2 internal and 6 external mirrored zfs drives to give
me 14 TB of storage.  It runs my mail, dns, web, dhcp, router,
multi-media streaming, nightly backup, networked storage and other
(several Mac, Linux and Windows machines) services.  I also use it to
run regression testing of the software I develop, probably the only
thing that pushes it in any way. If it wasn't for the flaky electric
grid system it would have been running for at least a year.  However,
blackouts lasting several days caused me to shut it down a few times in
the past year.  Currently, it's been up for 40 days. Since it's the
router between my ISP and my internal network, it is critical that it is
stable.  It hasn't failed me yet (knock on wood).

I should take a picture and show it with it's 8 sata cables draping out
the back connected to 2 disk cabinets, it's quite a DIY sight.  I wish I
could find a less power-hungry and quieter machine to replace the v40z
at a reasonable price.  Being able to put the disks in the same cabinet
would be a plus. :)

Gary