[OpenIndiana-discuss] hardware recommendations for OI desktop system

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue May 21 11:01:28 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-21 00:39, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> We use NVIDIA Quadro 2000 cards, and the audio usually goes
> through that card via HDMI or DisplayPort to the monitor speakers.
> Be sure that /dev/audio{0,1}, /dev/dsp{0,1} etc. are consistently
> linked, we had some trouble when installing a clone image from
> another machine, swapping pci devices for some of the links...

On my laptop it also happens to see two audiohd devices, one from
the realtek(?) driving the headphone jack and built-in speakers,
another from the Radeon HDMI which is currently not useful to me.
However, after the installation I got the HDMI one as audio/0,
and while some programs agreed to use symlinks and config files
pointing to the audio/1 etc. device nodes, the "proper" solution
for me was to hack into /etc/path_to_inst (IIRC) and replace
device node numbers for the two audiohd entries there, and reboot.
Thus the audible audio card became number 0 and made more programs
happy. I heard them say so ;p

HTH,
//Jim Klimov