[OpenIndiana-discuss] shell script mutex locking or process signaling

Hugh McIntyre lists at mcintyreweb.com
Fri May 31 14:03:01 UTC 2013

Gary already pointed to SMF contracts, but one other option if you want
to use pure locking is to use the "lockfile" program that comes with
procmail, for email.  Even though this may be a bit heavy handed for
performance.

If you know you have a limited use case (all processes on the same host,
non-NFS filesystem, only Illumos) then the problem becomes simpler, but
if not then the people who've worked out how to lock mailbox files have
worked out all of the ugly corner cases on different systems.

Hugh.