[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI151a8 free space reporting

wim at vandenberge.us wim at vandenberge.us
Thu Nov 14 00:02:55 UTC 2013

Hi,

I just rolled my first a8 server into testing. This is a server build for space,
not speed (D2D2T scenario). It has 135 drives grouped into twelve RAIDZ3 groups
of 11 drives each (plus three spares). With each drive having a usable capacity
of 3.64TB (as reported by format) I would expect the usable capacity of the pool
to be 12 x 8 x 3.64 = 349.44TB.

"Zfs list" reports pretty much that number. However, "zpool list" reports 480TB
of free space (12 x 11 x 3.64). I may just never have noticed before on a7
system but is it normal for zpool list to report the parity overhead as free
space?

Wim

wim at alt-elp-ddt02 <mailto:root at alt-elp-ddt02> :~# zfs list
NAME                     USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
store01                  602K   343T  78.5K  /store01
<rpool entries deleted>

wim at alt-elp-ddt02 <mailto:root at alt-elp-ddt02> :~# zpool list
NAME      SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
store01   480T   936K   480T         -     0%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
<spool entries deleted>