[OpenIndiana-discuss] funky beginer questions

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Wed Sep 11 14:56:42 UTC 2013

On 11/09/2013 16:40, Harry Putnam wrote:
> "Udo Grabowski (IMK)" <udo.grabowski at kit.edu> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> Harry wrote:
>>> So you'd need to send/receive all seven then, eh?  Or is there
>>> something like the -p operator to 'zfs create -p [...]' that can be
>>> invoked to allow you to send/receive the whole batch in one go?
>>>

> Udo replied:
>> You can always do a 'zfs snapshot -r ...' and a 'zfs send -r .....'
>> or even -R to send all snaps in one go.
>
> Nice.  I hadn't noticed that yet.  But even then, if follow the use of
> -R in relation to send, it appears the -R flag pulls everything behind
> the targeted snapshot.
>
> So in the example where each level has a .zfs directory:
>   /rmh/host1/someproj/Acollection
>   /rmh/host2/someproj/Acollection
>
> A snapshot send with -R flag from:
>
>     /rmh/host1/someproj/Acollection/.zfs <HERE
> and from:
>     /rmh/host2/someproj/Acollection/.zfs <HERE
>
> Would be required to get the whole thing sent... Is that right?

??
'zfs snapshot -r rmh' (or whatever your pool is named) followed
by a 'zfs send -r rmh' would send the complete tree into one stream
(or use -i additionally to get incremental snapshots, but that's a
bit more involved to do that right, if you really want to recover
from an incremental backup).
The .zfs are dummies where these snapshots appear, you won't do tar
on that directories (of course, you can use professional software
like IBM's Tivoli to backup from there).
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski    Inst.f.Meteorology a.Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php