[OpenIndiana-discuss] Accessing smb shares from windows

Robbie Crash sardonic.smiles at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 22:15:05 UTC 2013

You may also need to authenticate with username@<OIHOST> or
<OIHOST>\username rather than just with username since Windows will try to
use guest if not prompted, or windowsuser at windowshost or domain\windowsuser

For example, when I access my admin shares on my OI box, they're tied to a
robbieadmin account, which is local only to my OI box. When I sign in with
that account I do robbieadmin at file00 rather than robbie at crash.local, with
file00 being the hostname of my OI box, and crash.local being my AD domain.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Dylan Distasio <interzone at gmail.com> wrote:

> Harry-
>
> I'm not an expert here, but I have successfully shared my OI home server
> shares with my Windows 7 PC.  In addition to set sharesmb=on which it
> sounds like you have already done, you will also need to do:
>
> sudo smbpasswd yourwindowsusername
>
> It will prompt you to set a password for samba.  I keep my OI username and
> password the same as my windows 7 username/password to keep things simple.
>
> You should also make your username the owner of the share directories with
> chown.
>
> My guess is the only thing you're missing here is the smbpasswd set up
> though.
>
> Let me know if that helps.
>
> -Dylan
>

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:
>
> > Maybe someone can offer a brief outline of how one is to access shares
> > on an OI machine from windows 7 based hosts?
> >
> > The share has sharesmb on and named but I'm not able to access it from
> > windows 7.  Entering the username and passwd of shares owner into the
> > dialog offered by windows 7 file explorer just fails with no helpful
> > comments.
> >    zfs get sharesmb p1/projects/reader
> >   NAME                PROPERTY  VALUE         SOURCE
> >   p1/projects/reader  sharesmb  name=preader  local
> >
> > Nothing at all in the smb server log that is helpful. The last entries
> > there are from OS start up several days ago:
> >  /var/svc/log/network-smb-server:default.log
> >
> > Permissions on the directory (reader) I'm trying to access:
> > drwxr-sr-x 16 reader nfsu 17 2013-09-21 22:43 reader
> >
> > None of the other properties (besides sharesmb) as revealed by `get
> > all' appear to have any bearing on remote access.
> >
> > There is no chance at all that I'm just entering the uid passwd wrong.
> > They are simple and I use them everyday.

Seconds to the drop, but it seems like hours.

http://www.openmedia.ca
https://robbiecrash.me