[OpenIndiana-discuss] [vbox guests] two installs different results

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Apr 8 17:32:42 UTC 2014

Running oi 151_1_9 as guest in a vbox vm on windows 7

Something odd happened when I installed a second vm guest of oi.

I used the same iso from 151_a8 and then updated.

The overridding vbox settings are the same... except for number of
hdd.

So same ram, same video ram, bridged ethernet... etc

However on both systems I've created users from the command line using
'useradd' and the same cmdline but for the username.

(Only 1 extra user on each)

Not to the punch line.

when I start the newest install, and login to the user created from
cmdline.  something perculiar is causing an app I open to glue itself
to the top left corner of display and cannot be moved.

For example; if I click on the terminal icon on top of display (there
by default) the terminal opens but is stuck to top left corner.

If I used the application/run menu to start an xterm... it is glued
the same.

Ditto for firefox.

They all stick just high enough to cover the menu at upper left of
display so none of that can be accessed if anything is open.

Further, the main menu on the applications is unusable. The main items
can be opened but I cannot slide down to any commands.  Soon as the
mouse leaves the actual menu item (like 'File') the list snaps
shut...Hold left mouse down and sliding down doesn't work either, and
with the same problem.

I'm not real sure it is an oi problem... possibly vbox.. but seem not
so likely to be vbox inside the OS.

PS - The user created during install... has none of these problems.