[OpenIndiana-discuss] Virtualbox Guest VM Type and Version...

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Aug 14 09:17:58 UTC 2014

14 августа 2014 г. 9:48:44 CEST, Dave Koelmeyer <dave.koelmeyer at davekoelmeyer.co.nz> пишет:
>Hi,
>
>Can someone please kindly tell me what is the current recommended guest
>
>VM Type and Version to be used for hosting illumos-derived distros in
>VirtualBox – specifically OpenIndiana and Tribblix?
>
>Thanks,
>
>--
>Dave Koelmeyer
>http://blog.davekoelmeyer.co.nz

Hi,

For my work laptop I've used Solaris 11 64-bit with oi/hipster, seems to work pretty well on the laptop, including seamless windows (MSWin host, OI/H guest) and decent smb and nfs performance on the vbox-host-lan.

There are sometimes lags due to attempts of the hosts to identify each other properly (win is in corporate domain, oi/h is not) upon access to each fs object. But tinkering with mount options seems to have mostly solved this along the way somehow.

Another annoyance is that for the windows host, all of the guest's windows are on the same level 'below' or 'above' native windows hosts, so if i click an xterm, all the netbeans or firefoxes also pop up and block the view on some native windows programs. This makes multitasking not very convenient.
One thing that annoys greatly is regular lockups of metacity (windows are no longer switchable, and mouse is of limited use to copy-paste commands - context menu seems to work). I thought this was due to xscreensaver (hidden screen lock) but it is the same with it killed and can happen during activity in terminals, browser, netbeans. I don't know how to reproduce that, sometimes a day passes without the hiccup, and sometimes it happens every minute or so. No correlation to host load, though metacity logs on stderr in a terminal mention that a window received a message with timestamp 0 which should not happen. This error is not unique to OI, many hits on Fedora, Ubuntu, etc. lists. Maybe gotta find another WM for Gnome ;)

HTH,
//Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android