[OpenIndiana-discuss] Powerloss protected SSDs for ...Re: Low low end server

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Mon Feb 10 22:05:09 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 3:58 PM, Volker A. Brandt <vab at bb-c.de> wrote:

> This thread started out as a discussion of the merits of the HP N54L
> microserver for home use.  I am not really sure if a home server needs
> mirrored battery-protected SSDs.  :-)

I tend to agree with this.   My approach is to slice a Samsung 840 Pro,
which holds up performance really well and do an aggressive backup cycle to
my disk pool.

Turn off sync, and forget about a ZIL unless your running a database.
Even still just do a snapshot policy so you have an acceptable fallback
point if power loss does bite you.

ZFS is consistent even with sync off.

-Chip