[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana problems recognizing all disks/vdev

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 10:11:22 UTC 2014

On 13 February 2014 07:38, Predrag Zecevic [Unix Systems Administrator] <
predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com> wrote:

> On 02/13/14 02:42 AM, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
>
>> On 13/02/2014 02:32, Randall Svancara wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am using openindiana and I have disk shelves, with 24-4TB drives
>>> each.  I have two shelves setup already, and I purchased a third.  I
>>> thought adding the next batch of disks would be easy, but apparently it
>>> is not as OpenIndiana refuses to see all the disks.
>>>
>>> parted -l shows:
>>>
>>>  First, use format instead of parted, it's the native tool.
>> Second, did you touch /reconfigure before rebooting ?
>> That initiates a new device configuration.
>> Third, look at cfgadm -a, do you see all the disks and
>> HBA's ?
>>

> I guess that command (assuming super user role):
> pfexec devfsadm -C
> will do same as 'touch /reconfigure && reboot', but just w/o rebooting.
>
> Regards.

we had problems with our array, it turned out to be a combination of disk
drive and controller failure ...

The controller worked fine with cheaper non-enterprise Seagate disks, but
not expensive enterprise grade Western Digitals.   What make are the disks
you're using, what controller card are you using? is there any particular
pattern in the drives that are failing on the array?

Jon

PS. "devfsadm -Cv" takes time but is a good way of making sure the dev
links are good.
"format -e" will show all drives on your system, including removable
(USB/SD Card) disks.
"cfgadm -a" is a good way of listing all devices and nodes (including
"dynamic"s)