[OpenIndiana-discuss] Install 151a8, upgrade to 151a9, and gnome system tools (top panel System -> Admin menu) dump core.

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Fri Feb 21 12:57:19 UTC 2014

With a lot in common with the below complaint, I decided to try a std
OI151a9 install on my newly acquired N54L microserver:

This isn't ever going to be used for daily GUI logins, but it was there
and clean and pristine and fresh, so:

I installed from the 151a8 desktop DVD ISO
I logged in as the user you set up during install.

I did a pkg update as root, and then booted and logged in.

I installed gvfs, and checked gnome-vfs is installed, and that rad was
running as well as all the desktop related cache services.
I had already updated the loaders cache.

I also ran the crle {,-64} -c /var/ld{,/64} -l .... commands, rebooted
and logged in again.

None of the System -> Administration tools work!

If clicking on them as the normal user, a window appears with a panel
that requests the root password, and on giving the password, the tool
window remains greyed over and when taking the cursor inside the tool
window the cursor becomes the "waiting clockface". For ever.

Starting the tool as root from a tty window, such as "su; users-admin",
the tool runs for a bit and then dumps core on SIGSEGV.

User land tools seem to run OK.